Botox is a natural product that can be used to soften and smooth moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (the glabella). The affects are noticeable after 24 hours and reach the full effect by 3 days. It usually lasts from 3 to 4 months, but this can vary from patient to patient. Botox injections are also helpful in reducing the appearance of crow’s feet wrinkles at the corners of the eyes.
What many patients don’t know is that Botox can also be used to change the shape and position of the eyebrow. As people age, it is natural for the brow to slowly drop, allowing excess skin to roll over the upper eyelid, giving a heavy, tired appearance to the eyes. Botox can improve this problem by elevating the brow back up into a more youthful position. Does this by reducing the activity of muscles that pull the eyebrow down. This allows the muscles that elevate the brow to act with less resistance, thereby bringing the eyebrow up.
The patient shown here is in her mid 30’s and has had some normal aging changes to her brow. Notice the excess skin lying over the upper eyelid (Figure 1). After using only 15 units of Botox (2 units near each eye and 11 between the eyebrows) her eyebrow is elevated into a more youthful position (Figure 2). Notice how much more of the upper eyelid is visible, and see how, when applied correctly, can create an attractive elevation of the lateral brow. Each patient is unique, and these treatments are specially tailored to every patient.
Before & After Pictures
* All patients are unique and individual results may vary.
What Our Patients Are Saying
FAQs about Botox Injections
With Botox Beverly Hills, the more units you use, the more effect you will have on a particular patient. Therefore, for a more subtle result, less can be used and it will cost less. A more dramatic result may require more Botox and will cost more. I believe the best results can be attained by customizing the approach for every patient and finding the appropriate amount to get the desired results. By charging by the unit, the patient will only pay for the effect requested.
Frequently patients request an improvement in the “purse-string” or “Smoker’s lines” around the mouth. Despite the name, these lines can be found even in non-smokers and can be caused by repeated use of the muscles around the mouth. Often the presence these wrinkles impart a look of disapproval. A small amount of Botox can be used in this muscle to slightly soften these wrinkles. In the appropriate patient it can significantly reduce these bothersome lines.
This depends on your anatomy and the desired effect. Some patients only need 15 units, while others require as much as 50 or more. For first time patients, I like to err on the conservative side. We can always add additional as needed.
Why choose Dr. Swartout
- Fellowship trained sub-specialist in Facial Plastic surgery who attended college at Harvard University.
- Attended medical school at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York.
- Interned in general surgery at New York University, followed by a specialty residency in Otolaryngology – Head & Neck surgery at New York University.
- Completed a fellowship in Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Illinois at Chicago where he worked with Dr. Dean Toriumi.
- A member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery and the American Rhinologic Society.
- Teaches nasal surgery to residents at Harbor UCLA both to contribute to the education of future doctors and to give back to an underserved community.
- Special interests include the development of rhinoplasty techniques to create long lasting, favorable nasal shape and good nasal breathing.