Dermal fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm are used to fill in facial creases, plump up the lips, and sculpt the cheeks. These fillers can soften the signs of aging by sculpting the jaw line and softening the jowls. The effects are immediate and patients can return to work that same day.
As the face ages, the youthful areas of fat become thinner and droop. One important area of fat lies just under the cheekbone in a young person. With age, this area of fat thins out and moves lower and closer to the mouth. It creates a roll and a crease that runs from the nose to the corner of the mouth. The area under the cheek bone begins looking hollow. This is called a “tear trough deformity”, as if a tear drop from the eye would run through this trough as it rolls down the cheek. These rolls and hollow areas create shadows that can make a patient look older and tired. By filling these areas of lost fat, the patient can achieve a more youthful, rested appearance.
The skin can be anesthetized prior to the procedure with numbing cream or even with a nerve block (dental block). The entire procedure usually takes about a half an hour, and the effects are immediate. Although some patients can have bruising, it is typically mild and most people return to work the same day.
Dermal Fillers FAQs
This depends on the patient and the area injected. The results can last up to a year, and some recent studies have shown that when the area is retreated at 4 1/2 months, the effects can be still be seen at 18 months.
Skin testing was required in the past when collagen injections were being used, but not with these products. It depends on the particular patient, but most people can be injected on the first office visit. Patients with severe allergies (anaphylaxis) are not good candidates for dermal fillers.
Latisse is a prescription medication and, as with all new medications, you and your doctor should discuss potential benefits and risks before your start it for the first time. Your doctor will also discuss the application techniques to achieve the best possible results.
Dr. Swartout is awesome! After having two failed rhinoplasty procedures, I was lucky to find Dr. Swartout. He completely fixed my nose and dramatically improved my breathing (which was never addressed in my previous surgeries). My nose also looks beautiful! I had given up on my nose ever being fixed let alone looking normal. After my fist visit, I was convinced Dr. Swartout could help me. He is very friendly and patient and truly cares about each patient's experience pre- and post-op. Because he took his time and was so careful, I had practically no swelling or bruising. Within a week my nose looked normal. I am so thankful for everything Dr. Swartout was able to do for me.
Why choose Dr. Swartout
- Fellowship trained sub-specialist in Facial Plastic surgery who attended college at Harvard University.
- Attended medical school at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York.
- Interned in general surgery at New York University, followed by a specialty residency in Otolaryngology – Head & Neck surgery at New York University.
- Completed a fellowship in Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Illinois at Chicago where he worked with Dr. Dean Toriumi.
- A member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery and the American Rhinologic Society.
- Teaches nasal surgery to residents at Harbor UCLA both to contribute to the education of future doctors and to give back to an underserved community.
- Special interests include the development of rhinoplasty techniques to create long lasting, favorable nasal shape and good nasal breathing.